Our Mission
Hill History
Recent News
Coming Events
Overbeck History Press
Get Involved
Eastern Market Voices
Lecture Series
Project People
Overbeck Bio
Good Links
Contact Us

Good Links

Other History Resources

The Capitol Hill Restoration Society has been fighting to preserve and maintain the neighborhood's historic character since 1955, and its annual House and Garden Tour is one of the highlights of the year. Among other resources on their website, an extraordinary collection appears on the "House Tour Brochures" page, which includes links to both Excel and .pdf files listing all the houses included in the annual tour since it began in 1958. The page also includes links to all house tour brochures through 2014.

Congressional Cemetery, resting place of John Philip Sousa and many other figures from our neighborhood's past, is maintained and interpreted by a very active organization of community volunteers, the Association for the Preservation of Historic Congressional Cemetery. Their Interment Index is particularly useful for historical and genealogical research.

The D.C. Public Library has a large "Washingtoniana" section filled with old photos, maps and other historical resources.

Hill Center at the Old Naval Hospital officially began operating as a neighborhood center in November, 2011. Their website includes the history of the building, which was completed in 1866.

Eastern Market history. This 51 page document represents two nominations of Eastern Market to the the National Register of Historic Places. Pages 1-5 are the National Park Service nomination form filled out and submitted in 1971. Pages 6-51 are the completed form submitted in 1995. Considerable information is provided about the physical characteristics of Eastern Market, as well as details about South Hall operating procedures. Included are a sketch of the 51 stalls operating in the South Hall in 1914 and a neighborhood map showing residences of 36 merchants who lived near the market around 1914 - 1920.

The Hill Rag monthly community newpaper frequently runs features on the neighborhood's history and heritage. Archives for the Rag are stored online along with those for other Capital Community News publications.

Naval Lodge #4, which was founded in 1805 by officers and workers at the Navy Yard, has played a major role in the history of Capitol Hill. Its wonderful Egyptian Revival style meeting hall at 330 Pennsylvania Avenue S.E. served as the site of the Overbeck History Lectures for the first 13 years of the series, from 2002 to the Spring of 2015.

The Sewall-Belmont House at the corner of 2nd and Constitution is one of the oldest houses on Capitol Hill and home to the National Woman's Party. Its collection includes thousands of historic photographs, books, papers, furniture and art, much of it relating to Hill history.

The Washington Navy Yard at the foot of 8th Street S.E. is the U.S. Navy's oldest shore establishment, dating from 1799. Originally a shipbuilding center, then an ordnance plant, it was the biggest employer in our community for about a century and a half.

.^ Back to Top ^
    The Ruth Ann Overbeck Capitol Hill History Project, Washington, D.C.